Bible Prayer Study Course
Kenneth E. Hagin
7 steps to answered prayer:
Be specific and stand on God’s promises.
- Decide what you want from God and find the scripture or scriptures that definitely promise you these things.
- God's word is His will.
- Faith begins where the will or the word of God is known.
- Once you find the scriptures that promise you what you desire from God, get those scriptures firmly fixed in your heart, not just in your mind. To do that you'll have to meditate on the word of God.
Acts 2:38-39 - And Peter said to them, “Repent [change your old way of thinking, turn from your sinful ways, accept and follow Jesus as the Messiah] and be baptized, each of you, in the name of Jesus Christ because of the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise [of the Holy Spirit] is for you and your children and for all who are far away [including the Gentiles], as many as the Lord our God calls to Himself.
Romans 10:17 - So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.
Romans 10:8 - But what does it say? “THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching.
- If the word abides in you, then faith abides in you.
- If the word abides in you, faith will spring up in your heart.
Joshua 1:8 - This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will achieve success.
- IT IS WRITTEN - anytime thoughts that are contrary to the truth enter your mind, say “It is written,” and then speak the word of God.
- It takes a little time sometimes to build the word into your spirit so you can stand in faith for an answer to prayer.
1 Timothy 6:12 - Fight the good fight of faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were called, and for which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.
- If God word says something belongs to you, then it belongs to you! Put up a fight by standing your ground on God's word.
- Don't only fight for natural things but stand your ground upon the word of God and fight to receive spiritual things including healing, the blessings and benefits of God that belong to us as his children.
Isaiah 43: 25-26 - “I, only I, am He who wipes out your transgressions for My own sake, And I will not remember your sins. Remind Me [of your merits with a thorough report], let us plead and argue our case together; State your position, that you may be proved right.
You must ask God for what you want & believe that you receive.
Matthew 6:7,8 - “And when you are praying, do not use thoughtless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard because of their many words. So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.
- Our Father knows before we ask but He still wants us to ask….just not repetitively.
John 16:24 - And on that day you will not question Me about anything. Truly, truly I say to you, if you ask the Father for anything in My name, He will give it to you. Until now you have asked for nothing in My name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be made full.
How is our joy made full with our needs unmet? In Philippians 4:10-14 Paul shares that he has learned to be content in every situation and that he can do all things through Christ who strengthens him. So, yes he is at peace in the Lord but he rejoices greatly that they have finally revived their concern for his needs and that they have done well to share with him in his difficulty.
We need to firmly take our stand on God’s word and boldly walk out and proclaim that His word is true and we believe it!
Matthew 7: 7-8 - Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened.
Mark 11: 23-24 - Truly I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says is going to happen, it will be granted to him. Therefore, I say to you, all things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them, and they will be granted to you.
We must trust & be confident that it is granted to us….then we shall receive.
- Sense knowledge vs revelation truth
- Satan operates in the sense realm….appealing to your physical senses and trying to get us focused only on what our natural senses tell us.
- God operates in revelation truth – The truth of His word
Ephesians 1:3 - Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ
- Everything we need has been provided for us in Christ Jesus. We can't see those things, but they are there because God's word says they are there.
- When we walk by what God has said in His word then what is in the spiritual realm is made real in the natural realm through our faith in His word. Our faith grasps it and creates the reality of it in our lives.
- Faith is what pleases God – Hebrews 11:6 - And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for the one who comes to God must believe that He exists, and that He proves to be One who rewards those who seek Him.
*He proves / comes into being / emerges: This is the Greek word ginomai. It implies motion, movement or growth. It presents the picture of God’s actions emerging from eternity and manifesting in the physical realm.
Hebrews 11:1 - Now faith is the assurance (title deed, confirmation) of things hoped for (divinely guaranteed), and the evidence of things not seen [the conviction of their reality--faith comprehends as fact what cannot be experienced by the physical senses]. For by this [kind of] faith the men of old gained [divine] approval.
Romans 14:17 - for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
- Sense knowledge has taken the church captive. We are to walk by faith and not by sight.
2 Corinthians 5:7 - for we walk by faith, not by sight
- We must act in the faith realm, base our actions on what the word says not on what we see or feel.
- After praying in faith, you’re supposed to continue to believe and thank God for your answer. Don’t continue to pray and ask.
We must be positive in our thinking. Let every thought and desire affirm that we have what we asked for.
- Never doubt for one minute that we have the answer; if doubts persist rebuke them and get your mind on the answer. Focus on the word of God.
James 4:7 - Submit therefore to God. But resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
1 Peter 5:8 - Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
- Remove every image, suggestion, vision, dream, impression, feeling, and all thoughts that do not contribute to your faith nor affirm that you have what you asked from God.
Matthew 8:17 - This was to fulfill what was spoken through Isaiah the prophet: “HE HIMSELF TOOK OUR INFIRMITIES AND CARRIED AWAY OUR DISEASES.
- Base your petition on the word of God.
- Believe you received when you prayed.
- Believing before you see it manifested in your life means you are seizing or grabbing ahold of God’s word by faith.
Mark 11:24 - Therefore, I say to you (insert name), all things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them, and they will be granted to you.
- Faith’s confession creates reality so stand your ground and refuse to be defeated
- Sometimes God will let you be tested right up until the end. Stand firm! The answer will come every time.
Guard against every evil thought that comes into your mind to try to make you doubt God's word.
Jeremiah 1:12 - Then the LORD said to me, “You have seen well, for I am [actively] watching over My word to fulfill it.”
2 Corinthians 10:5 - We are destroying arguments and all arrogance raised against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ
- Stay away from all places and things that do not support your affirmation that God has answered your prayer.
- Enjoy fellowship with those who contribute to your faith.
- Guard against every evil thought and think upon those things which affirm God's truth and you will be cooperating with God in faith.
- Guard your mind in order to develop in faith and stand your ground firmly.
Philippians 4: 8-9 - Whatever is true, whatever is honorable and worthy of respect, whatever is right and confirmed by God’s word, whatever is pure and wholesome, lovely and brings peace. Whatever is admirable and of a good reputation; if there is any excellence, anything worthy of praise think upon these things. [ CENTER your mind upon them, IMPLANT them within your heart. ] The things which you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things in your daily life, and the God who is the source of peace and well being will be with you.
Meditate constantly on the promises upon which you based the answer to your prayer. See yourself in possession of what you've asked for and make plans accordingly as if it were already a reality.
Proverbs 4: 20-22 - My son, pay attention to my words; Incline your ear to my sayings. They are not to escape from your sight; Keep them in the midst of your heart. For they are life to those who find them, And healing to all their body.
Isaiah 53:5 - But He was pierced for our offenses, He was crushed for our wrongdoings; The punishment for our well-being was laid upon Him, And by His wounds we are healed.
- Always pray according to the word.
John 15:7 - If you remain in Me, and My words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit, and so prove to be My disciples.
James 1:22 - But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not just hearers who deceive themselves.
- Act upon what you know belongs to you, then you will have results.
In your every waking moment think on the greatness of God, upon His goodness and count your blessings.
Philippians 4: 4-7 - Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all people. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and pleading with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for the one who believes.
1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18 - Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus.
- Don’t give up on your prayer life…we are to thank God in the midst of every test and trial.
Make every prayer relative to what you've asked a statement of faith instead of unbelief. Thinking faith thoughts and speaking faith words lead the heart out of defeat and into victory.
- Smith Wigglesworth said, “if you pray seven times for any one thing, you prayed six times in unbelief.
- Andrew Murray said, “It's not good taste to ask God for the same thing over and over again.”
- Instead remind God that you asked for it and remind Him of what His word says.
Isaiah 43:26 - Meet Me in court, let’s argue our case together; State your cause, so that you may be proved right. [Put God in remembrance]
- Don't undo your prayers.
- Get into faith and stay there.
- Use the faith you have.
Romans 12:3 - For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith
2 Timothy 3:5-7 - holding to a form of godliness although they have denied its power; avoid such people as these… always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
- Pray for results. God hears prayer offered according to His word and in the name of Jesus. If adverse circumstances aren’t changed by the power of God through our prayers, it shows that we simply have a form of godliness without the power.
Psalm 119:105 - Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
Psalm 119: 130,133 - The unfolding of Your [glorious] words give light; their unfolding gives understanding to the simple (childlike). Establish my footsteps in [the way of] Your word; Do not let any human weakness have power over me [causing me to be separated from You].
Praying in Jesus Name
John 16:24 - Until now you have asked for nothing in My name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be made full.
- Ask the Father in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ.
- There is real joy in knowing God as Father.
Don't accept sickness and adverse circumstances into your life.
John 10:10 - The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came so that they would have life, and have it abundantly. [the enemy will try to take away what you’ve prayed and received; you must walk in faith to fight and maintain what you’ve received]
- To keep the joy of the Lord in your life you must give it away.
- Christians can increase their joy by witnessing about the Lord's goodness in their own lives.
- We must be just as joyous before we see the answer as we are once the answer manifests in our life.
- It does no good to pray if you're going to continue to worry and wrestle with your problems.
1 John 5:14-15 - This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked from Him.
- God doesn’t hear prayers that are prayed in doubt and unbelief. We are to pray with confidence and boldness to yield effective prayers.
Ephesians 5:18-20 - …be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your hearts to the Lord; always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to our God and Father
- Come boldly before the throne.
Hebrews 4:16 - Therefore let’s approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace for help at the time of our need.
Authority in the name of Jesus
2 Corinthians 4:4 - in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they will not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.
- When the light of revelation comes, we are obligated to walk in the light.
- We don’t necessarily move God with our tears, prayers and fasting. We need to come to Him, according to His word in the name of Jesus.
- Stay in the arena of faith. Don’t let the devil hold you in the thought arena.
Resist the Devil
James 4:7 - So submit to [the authority of] God. Resist the devil [stand firm against him] and he will flee from you.
Psalm 23:5 - You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You have anointed and refreshed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy and unfailing love shall follow me all the days of my life, And I shall dwell forever [throughout all my days] in the house and in the presence of the LORD.
- God prepares a table of blessing for us right in the presence of the devil! The devil does not have dominion over us as believers. The Lord desires to see us prosper. This is wonderful news and should fill us with joy, praise and thankfulness for Him!
Luke 10:19 - Listen carefully: I have given you authority [that you now possess] to tread on serpents and scorpions, and [the ability to exercise authority] over all the power of the enemy (Satan); and nothing will [in any way] harm you.
- Jesus also said not to rejoice over this authority but instead to rejoice that our names are written in Heaven.
Mark 11:23 - Truly I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says is going to happen, it will be granted to him.
Mark 17:18 – These signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues; they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not harm them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”
As a believer we are people of faith! Believe in the name of Jesus and exercise the authority, in boldness, that rightfully belongs to us.
- Believe God's word with your spirit, and then shut your mind off to doubt and unbelief and thoughts that are contrary to the word of God.
- EXAMPLE: “Satan, you who have bound my body for all these years, I break your power over my life, and I claim my deliverance and my healing.”
- The name of Jesus carries authority in heaven and on earth and under the earth, among men, angels and demons. They shall obey your voice in the name of Jesus.
1 Timothy 4:8 - for bodily training is just slightly beneficial, but godliness is beneficial for all things, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.
- Jesus has given us the right to use His name in every area of our lives. Godliness is profitable in all things…Godliness pays off!
Philippians 2:9-11 – For this reason also God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
John 14: 13,14 - And whatever you ask [demand] in My name, this I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it.
- This verse is less about prayer and more about taking authority over Satan to loose his hold on whatever he has tried to bind in your life. Peter did this in Acts 3:6 with the crippled man.
- Ask implies “to demand.” Based upon our authority in Christ, we are to demand Satan to stop in his maneuvers against us. Command Satan to bow his knee to the name of Jesus in accordance with Philippians 2:9,10 - For this reason also God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth
Growing up spiritually / maturing / maintaining
- The more we submit ourselves to the word and conform our thoughts to the word, the more successful and effective we will become in prayer.
- If you really want to reach and access the most precious and valuable spiritual treasures then you will need to dig deep.
Ephesians 4:13 - ….until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.
- We are to be filled with the presence, power and riches of God in Christ.
- We are to be a body, filled to overflowing, functioning in unity with God’s life.
1 Peter 2:2 - and like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation, if you have tasted the kindness of the Lord.
- To “long for” the word presents a picture of us literally possessed with this overwhelming desire, an intense affection, a deeply rooted love that is hungering to abide in His word. We have tasted His kindness and now we are completely taken with pursuing Him!
- With respect to growing naturally our prayer lives are to improve and mature as well. We are to grow up and meet God on His level according to His word.
Hebrews 1:14 - Are not all the angels ministering spirits sent out [by God] to serve (accompany, protect) those who will inherit salvation?
- Our angels are with us for all our lives. They wait upon / serve those who are heirs of salvation.
Philippians 3: 12-16 - Not that I have already obtained it [this goal of being Christlike] or have already been made perfect, but I actively press on so that I may take hold of that [perfection] for which Christ Jesus took hold of me and made me His own. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider that I have made it my own yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the [heavenly] prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. All of us who are mature [pursuing spiritual perfection] should have this attitude. And if in any respect you have a different attitude, that too God will make clear to you. Only let us stay true to what we have already attained.
1 Corinthians 9:27 - But [like a boxer] I strictly discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached [the gospel] to others, I myself will not somehow be disqualified [as unfit for service].
- We must daily keep our flesh under the dominion of our spirit.
John 7:37-39 - Now on the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink. The one who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, ‘From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.’” But this He said in reference to the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive; for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.
Mark 11:25 - Whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him [drop the issue, let it go], so that your Father who is in heaven will also forgive you your transgressions and wrongdoings [against Him and others].
- Prayer won’t work unless you have a forgiving heart. Don’t hold revenge or hatred in your heart. Proverbs 4:23 - Watch over your heart with all diligence, For from it flow the springs of life.
Romans 12: 1,2 - Therefore I urge you, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies [dedicating all of yourselves, set apart] as a living sacrifice, holy and well-pleasing to God, which is your rational (logical, intelligent) (although divine) act of worship. And do not be conformed to this world [any longer with its superficial values and customs], but be transformed and progressively changed [as you mature spiritually] by the renewing of your mind [focusing on godly values and ethical attitudes], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His plan and purpose for you].
- We are not going to be expert in the area of prayer unless we give time to prayer; make it a habit and a way of life. Many have denied themselves a lot of good activities in life in order to give of themselves to become proficient in a certain area.
Romans 8:14 - For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons and daughters of God.
- God primarily leads us through the “inward witness”; Holy Spirit.
- Don’t be led by circumstances or keep looking at what is not happening but see with eyes of faith what God is doing on our behalf according to His promises.
Types of Prayer
Ephesians 6:18 - With every prayer and request, pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, be alert with all perseverance and every request for all the saints…
Mark 11:23-24 - Truly I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says is going to happen, it will be granted to him. Therefore, I say to you, all things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them, and they will be granted to you.
- This is the prayer of faith. Applies primarily to a person’s own life - situations and circumstances.
- The prayer of faith is saying you can have what you desire if you pray according to His word and believe you receive your petition.
- A man who is saved and walking in fellowship with God has the right desires in his heart.
3 John 1:2 - Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers.
- It is scriptural to pray that believers would prosper and be in good health even as their souls prosper.
- God wants us to prosper in our mind, will, and emotions as well. Mentally, emotionally, physically, materially and financially.
- It is God’s will that we live out our lives on this earth in health and not die prematurely or in sickness.
Isaiah 53:4,5 - But [in fact] He has borne our griefs, And He has carried our sorrows and pains; Yet we [ignorantly] assumed that He was stricken, struck down by God and degraded and humiliated [by Him]. But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was crushed for our wickedness [our sin, our injustice, our wrongdoing]; The punishment [required] for our well-being fell on Him, And by His stripes (wounds) we are healed.
Matthew 7:11 - So if you, despite being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!
Philippians 4:19 - And my God will liberally supply (fill until full) your every need according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. – Spiritual, physical, material or financial need.
- *It is not fruitful to pray that the Lord would bless people. Ephesians 1:3 - Blessed and worthy of praise be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms in Christ. God has already blessed His people but many of God’s people don’t know it or have not walked in what rightfully belongs to them.
- We are blessed by God’s great plan of salvation that He planned and sent Christ to complete; to fulfill.
The Prayer of Consecration (“If it be Your Will”): When Jesus raised Lazarus he DID NOT say, “Father if it be your will raise up Lazarus.” He DID say, “Father, I thank you that you hear me always.” Then he told Lazarus to come out!
When we pray a prayer of consecration it’s because we want to be available to do what God has called us to do.
God’s word is His will: God’s word is the revealed will of God.
- When we pray, if it be Your will, even though we know what the word says, that is confessing that you doubt His word. We don’t do this on purpose but by our actions and words we unconsciously go against the word as if it isn’t true. We are only to pray, if it be Your will, in a heart place of consecration…this is a different situation.
The Prayer of Commitment: This is the prayer of casting our burdens and cares upon the Lord.
Philippians 4:6 - Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and “heart-felt” need with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Psalm 34:15 - The eyes of the LORD are toward the righteous, And His ears are toward their cry for help.
Psalm 34:17-18 - The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears and rescues them from all their troubles. The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
Psalm 34:19 - The afflictions of the righteous are many, But the LORD rescues him from them all.
- Don’t pray about your worries, cares, concerns, burdens. God wants to deliver you from these things and has already given us the instruction on how to handle these things; we are to “roll over” these things to Him like simply forwarding a phone call to another number.
Psalm 37:4-5 - Delight yourself in the LORD; and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD, trust also in Him, and He will do it..
Matthew 6:25 – “For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is life not more than food, and the body more than clothing?”
Luke 12:25 - And which of you by worrying can add a day to his life’s span?
Mark 12:31-32 - But seek His kingdom, and these things will be [w]provided to you. Do not be afraid, little flock, because your Father has chosen to give you the kingdom.
- Casting our cares upon the Lord is no something we do again and again but this is to be a lifestyle.
- Casting means to throw. If we throw our cares and worries away, why would we ever want to retrieve and pick them up again at any time?
- Many situations at different times throughout our lives have the capacity to produce cares and worries but the scripture is clear that nothing good comes from worrying and we are to throw them upon Him once and for all.
Kenneth Hagin said, “I confess my sin of worry and ask You to forgive me. From this day on, because you’ve now forgiven me, I promise You the longest day I live I’ll never worry again. I’ll never be filled with anxiety. I’ll never have the blues again. I’ll never fret again. I’ll never be discouraged again.”
The Prayer of Praise and Worship: Ministering to the Lord is the prayer of praise and worship.
Acts 13:2 - While they were serving the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set Barnabas and Saul apart for Me for the work to which I have called them.”
- We should minister to the Lord individually and as a group.
- Express your love in praise and thankfulness for His goodness and mercy.
- God loves to move more readily and mightily in this atmosphere.
- Determine the will of God by listening to your spirit. Wait upon the Lord; minister to Him until you are filled with peace and knowing what He is calling you to do.
Acts16:25 - Now about midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns of praise to God, and the prisoners were listening to them
- Stop praying repetitively over the same things and begin praising God. Watch how He will move in our lives!
- Griping and complaining is a result of doubt and unbelief. God answers believing prayer.
- Paul & Silas didn’t pray quietly….the prisoners heard them!
- Have this attitude that overcomes the difficult circumstances and don’t let the circumstance overcome you.
Matthew 12: 34-35 - ... For the mouth speaks from that which fills the heart. The good person brings out of his good treasure good things; and the evil person brings out of his evil treasure evil things.
- If a song of praise is swelling up in your inner man there is nothing you can do to stop it from bursting forth!
Acts 2: 46-47 - Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved.
- Praise and worship in ministering to the Lord should be a way of life.
United or Corporate prayer: Together we should lift our voices and pray out loud.
Acts 1:14 - All these were continually devoting themselves with one mind to prayer, along with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers.
Acts 2:1 - When the day of Pentecost had come, they were all together in one place.
Acts 4:24 - And when they heard this, they raised their voices to God with one mind…
Acts 4:29-31 - And now, Lord, look at their threats, and grant it to Your bond-servants to speak Your word with all confidence while You extend Your hand to heal, and signs and wonders take place through the name of Your holy servant Jesus.” And when they had prayed, the place where they had gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak the word of God with boldness.
- They didn’t ask that God would make their way easy but that He may give them boldness to speak His word.
- The power of God flows when we pray together….let us pray and shake the foundations for the glory of God.
The Prayer of Importunity: Being persistent in praying with faith.
Luke 11: 5-8 - Suppose one of you has a friend, and goes to him at midnight and says to him, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves, because a friend of mine has come to me from a journey and I have nothing to serve him’; and from inside he answers and says, ‘Do not bother me; the door has already been shut and my children and I are in bed; I cannot get up and give you anything.’ I tell you, even if he will not get up and give him anything just because he is his friend, yet because of his shamelessness he will get up and give him as much as he needs.
- Jesus point is to show that even in the natural, if we are urgent with our requests, we can get results. Not taking no for an answer.
- This is not about asking God over and over but simply about being persistent in faith; believing God’s word that when we ask, we receive.
- Keep thanking God for the answer to what we’ve prayed!
Praying in Tongues: Speaking with tongues is the door into all the other spiritual gifts.
- The main use of tongues and interpretation is for the believers private use.
1 Corinthians 12:7-11 - But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit; to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues. But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills.
Acts 2:4 - And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with different tongues, as the Spirit was giving them the ability to speak out.
- Once the believer is filled with the Spirit, he is to maintain a continual experience of speaking in tongues which is a flowing stream and will enrich his life immeasurably.
Jude 1:20 - But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,
1 Corinthians 14: 4,5,18 –
- Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but rather that you would prophesy; and greater is the one who prophesies than the one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may receive edification.
- The one who speaks in a tongue edifies himself; but the one who prophesies edifies the church.
- I thank God, I speak in tongues more than you all; nevertheless, in church I prefer to speak five words with my mind so that I may instruct others also, rather than ten thousand words in a tongue.
1 Corinthians 14: 13-14 - Therefore, one who speaks in a tongue is to pray that he may interpret. For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unproductive.
- This speaks to praying in tongues We are to pray for interpretation so our mind may be enlightened for some things as the Spirit reveals.
1 Corinthians 14: 26-33 - What is the outcome then, brothers and sisters? When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. All things are to be done for edification. If anyone speaks in a tongue, it must be by two or at the most three, and each one in turn, and one is to interpret; but if there is no interpreter, he is to keep silent in church; and have him speak to himself and to God. Have two or three prophets speak, and have the others pass judgment. But if a revelation is made to another who is seated, then the first one is to keep silent. For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all may be exhorted; and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets; for God is not a God of confusion, but of peace.
- This speaks to praying in tongues in a group publicly.
Smith Wigglesworth said this about first praying in tongues, “Before I had an argument (being filled with the Spirit w/o tongues), now I had an experience with God.”
- Sometimes tongues is absolutely unknown to us because we are speaking with heavenly languages. 1 Corinthians 4:2 says, “For the one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people, but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks mysteries.
- Tongues may also be a manifestation of a known language.
- It is very good to pray and praise in our understanding but there is much greater depths to dive in our spirits when our vocabulary has reached its end.
Acts 10: 44-46 - While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell on all those who were listening to the message [confirming God’s acceptance of Gentiles]. All the circumcised believers who came with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles. For they heard them talking in [unknown] tongues (languages) and exalting and magnifying and praising God.
1 Corinthians 14:15 - What is the outcome then? I will pray with the spirit, but I will pray with the mind also; I will sing with the spirit, but I will sing with the mind also.
Ephesians 5: 18,19 - Do not get drunk with wine, for that is wickedness (corruption, stupidity), but be filled with the [Holy] Spirit and constantly guided by Him. Speak to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, [offering praise by] singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; always giving thanks to God the Father for all things, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ; being subject to one another out of reverence for Christ.
Praying for others (Intercession): To act between two parties with the thought of reconciling the two of them
Kenneth Hagin wrote, “Also, after a while of praying in the Spirit, you will know whether you are praying as a means of building yourself up spiritually and worshipping God, or whether it is intercession or supplication for someone. Many times you can also tell when you are in intercession or travail for someone who is lost. If you are taking the place of a lost one and crying out in groanings and tongues in prayer for the lost, many times you will have the same feeling of being lost in your own spirit, even though you are saved and Spirit filled. You may experience these feelings yourself because you are taking the place of another in prayer….I’ve prayed for people who have had tumors and something would swell up on the inside of my own body when I was praying for them. I would pray until it disappeared. When it left me, it left them. You can’t do this without the leading of the Holy Spirit. 1 Corinthians 12:1 – Now concerning spiritual gifts, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be unaware.
2 Peter 3:9 - The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not willing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
- Simply have confidence that people will come to be saved.
Matthew 9:38 - So pray to the Lord of the harvest to send out workers into His harvest.
- Pray for others by name. Don’t lump them together into a group.
- Don’t pray vaguely that God would just save souls; He has already done that through Jesus redemption on the cross.
- Claim their salvation and pray that the Lord of the harvest would send laborers to them.
- Claim a harvest of souls in specific areas and by name whenever possible. Call out their names to God and claim their souls in the name of Jesus.
- Don’t continue to pray over and over but begin to thank God the prayer is answered and rejoice.
Isaiah 64:7 - There is no one who calls on Your name, Who stirs himself to take hold of You; For You have hidden Your face from us And have surrendered us to the power of our wrongdoings.
Ezekiel 22:30 - I searched for a man among them who would build up a wall and stand in the gap before Me for the land, so that I would not destroy it; but I found no one.
Abraham interceded for others and God heard him. How much more will God hear our prayers under the new covenant? Will he not hear our prayers for cities and nations for the sake of His children who live in them?
Hebrews 8:6 - But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, to the extent that He is also the mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted on better promises.
We can intercede with our understanding as Abraham did or we can intercede with our spirits in tongues with groanings and travailing.
Romans 8:26 - Now in the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know what to pray for as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.
- We can help to lift a spiritual load just like we would with a physical load. As the Spirit wills, we can pick up a prayer burden with someone else and begin to groan and travail with them.
- We should always continue in prayer until you have a sense of praise and victory. You may start laughing, praising or singing.
- The Holy Spirit is not a doer but our Helper. We are to stand with Him against our problems.
Acts 16:31 - They said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”
- We have authority in our household. Just claim their souls and complete deliverance.
Acts 16:15 -And when she was baptized, along with her household, she pleaded with us, saying, “If you have judged me and decided that I am faithful to the Lord [a true believer], come to my house and stay.” And she persuaded us.
- For family members not living in your household, rebuke Satan and tell him to take his hands off of them and claim their salvation in Jesus Name.
1 John 5: 16-17 - If anyone sees his brother committing a sin that does not lead to death, he will pray and ask [on the believer’s behalf] and God will, for him, give life to those whose sin is not leading to death. There is a sin that leads to death; I do not say that one should pray for this [kind of sin]. All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death [one can repent of it and be forgiven].
- We can pray and ask God to forgive a fellow believer of sin that does not lead to death. Sin that leads to spiritual death is denying Christ. See other notes on prayer for these 5 conditions.
Prayer of Agreement
Hindrances to Prayer
When someone requests prayer, their will comes into the picture. Their will can overcome our will and block our faith. We don’t have authority over human spirits.
- We need to know the word for ourselves and develop our own faith. This is how we maintain the blessings of God in our lives and resist the devil. Matthew 12:43-44 - Now when the unclean spirit comes out of a person, it passes through waterless places seeking rest, and does not find it. Then it says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came’; and when it comes, it finds it unoccupied, swept, and put in order.
Matthew 18:19 - “Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven.”
1 Peter 5:7 - having cast all your anxiety on Him, because He cares about you.
Philippians 4:6 - Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and pleading with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
- It is a sin to carry worry and anxiety. These things hinder our prayers from being heard and answered.
Mark 11:25-26 - Whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him [drop the issue, let it go], so that your Father who is in heaven will also forgive you your transgressions and wrongdoings [against Him and others]. But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your transgressions.”]
- We are to forgive so that our prayers are not hindered.
Praying Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual Songs: Praying, singing, worshipping, praising and thanking God work together and should be present in our prayer lives. When our praises come deep from within our inner selves, as a result of our faith in God, it is then we will receive the answers to our prayers.
Ephesians 5: 18-20 - And do not get drunk with wine, in which there is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your hearts to the Lord; always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to our God and Father.
- The ability to keep a right attitude in every circumstance only comes from being in fellowship with God.
- Ephesians 5:4 - … and there must be no filthiness or foolish talk, or vulgar joking, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. Speak words of life!
Colossians 3:16 -Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
- Sing and worship God! Stay in intimate fellowship and communion with Him; He will bless and encourage us.
Gift of Prophecy:
1 Corinthians 14:1 - Pursue love, yet earnestly desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy.
1 Corinthians 14:5 - Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but rather that you would prophesy; and greater is the one who prophesies than the one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may receive edification.
Private use of prophecy: A believer can speak to themselves with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs to be edified, exhorted, and comforted through the gift of prophecy expressed in his own life.
Public use of prophecy: Believers can speak to men and women, supernaturally, to edify, exhort and comfort according to the Spirit.
- Praying with prophecy is praying out the perfect will of God in a known tongue.
General notes on prayer: (teachings of Jesus & Paul….& others)
John 16:13 - But when He, the Spirit of Truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth [full and complete truth]. For He will not speak on His own initiative, but He will speak whatever He hears [from the Father--the message regarding the Son], and He will disclose to you what is to come [in the future].
- God is seeking those who will give themselves to prayer, especially in the Spirit.
Ephesians 3: 14-19 - For this reason I bend my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner self, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled to all the fullness of God.
- This scripture above is a good example of how to start off praying to our Heavenly Father.
Matthew 6:31-33 - Do not worry then, saying, ‘What are we to eat?’ or ‘What are we to drink?’ or ‘What are we to wear for clothing?’ For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be provided to you.
- If our priorities are right in prayer, we shouldn’t have to do so much praying about our own needs.
- Pray that God would make you a blessing to others with what He has given to you.
Matthew 7:7-11 - Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. Or what person is there among you who, when his son asks for a loaf of bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, he will not give him a snake, will he? So if you, despite being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!
- Simply accept what Jesus has said at His word; don’t get negative, in doubt and unbelief.
- We are God’s children and known by Him. We are in His family and He is our Father. Therefore, when we knock, we are known and immediately “let in!”
Matthew 5:44-45 - But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may prove yourselves to be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
- As a child of our Father, we will pray instead of complain and criticize.
Matthew 9:36-38 - Seeing the crowds, He felt compassion for them, because they were distressed and downcast, like sheep without a shepherd. Then He said to His disciples, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Therefore, plead with the Lord of the harvest to send out workers into His harvest.”
Matthew 5:19,21 - that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting people’s sins against them [but canceling them]. And He has committed to us the message of reconciliation [that is, restoration to favor with God]. He made Christ who knew no sin to [judicially] be sin on our behalf, so that in Him we would become the righteousness of God [that is, we would be made acceptable to Him and placed in a right relationship with Him by His gracious lovingkindness].
Romans 10: 9-13 - that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. For the Scripture says, “WHOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE PUT TO SHAME.” For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him; for “EVERYONE WHO CALLS ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED.”
Romans 10:14 - How then are they to call on Him in whom they have not believed? How are they to believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how are they to hear without a preacher?
- God has already saved the lost by sending Jesus to the earth to die for the sins of mankind.
- All the sinner must do is accept the salvation that is so freely provided for him through Jesus work on the cross and to confess that Jesus Christ is Lord!
- The lost can’t be saved unless they hear the gospel…so we pray for laborers to be sent into the harvest fields.
- Remember, by Acts 10:31 you can claim the souls of those in your household for God - They said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.”
- We permit God to move in our lives and in the earth by obeying His word and by praying.
- In the beginning, God gave Adam dominion over all the earth. Adam sold out to Satan in the Garden of Eden and through this sin Adam forfeited his authority and transferred his dominion over the earth to the devil which made the devil the god of this world. (2 Corinthian 4:4 - in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they will not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.
- Luke 4:5-7 - And he led Him up and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. And the devil said to Him, “I will give You all this domain and its glory, for it has been handed over to me, and I give it to whomever I want. Therefore if You worship before me, it shall all be Yours.”
- Adam made a legal transaction with Satan when he disobeyed God. So, God can’t legally step in and take over on the earth and cure all the problems because Satan has legal authority through Adam’s default.
John 10:10 -The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came so that they would have life, and have it abundantly.
- Through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ we are redeemed from the hand of the enemy and Satan has no legal right to dominate us anymore. Colossians 2, 13-15 - When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh (worldliness, manner of life), God made you alive together with Christ, having [freely] forgiven us all our sins, having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of legal demands [which were in force] against us and which were hostile to us. And this certificate He has set aside and completely removed by nailing it to the cross. When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities [those supernatural forces of evil operating against us], He made a public example of them [exhibiting them as captives in His triumphal procession], having triumphed over them through the cross.
Colossians 1:13 - For He has rescued us and has drawn us to Himself from the dominion of darkness, and has transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son
- Satan cannot move and work in a believer’s life unless that person gives him authority to do so.
- God works through man; Satan also works through
- As God moves in the earth according to His word and established dominion, Satan can’t accuse Him of being unjust.
Binding / Loosing: Matthew 18: 18,19 - I assure you and most solemnly say to you, whatever you bind [forbid, declare to be improper and unlawful] on earth shall have [already] been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose [permit, declare lawful] on earth shall have [already] been loosed in heaven.
- This is exercising authority and carrying out [discipline within the body]. In binding and loosing, we are carrying out the known will of God that is already established in Heaven. This does not mean we can bind or loose on the earth as we feel like it and have it approved / duplicated in Heaven.
A call to prayer: 1 Timothy 2:1,2 - First of all, then, I urge that requests, prayers, intercession, and thanksgiving be made in behalf of all people, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity.
Don’t doubt: 1 Timothy 2:8 - Therefore I want the men in every place to pray, lifting up holy hands, without anger and disputing or quarreling or doubt [in their mind].
Sanctify food: 1 Timothy 4:4 - For everything God has created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude; for it is sanctified [set apart, dedicated to God] by means of the word of God and prayer.
- Receive all food (use Godly judgement) with thanksgiving, dedicated to God through the word and prayer.
James 5: 13-16 - Is anyone among you suffering? He must pray. Is anyone joyful? He is to sing praises [to God]. Is anyone among you sick? He must call for the elders (spiritual leaders) of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer of faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up; and if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Therefore, confess your sins to one another [your false steps, your offenses], and pray for one another, that you may be healed and restored. The heartfelt and persistent prayer of a righteous man (believer) is able to accomplish much [when put into action and made effective by God--it is dynamic and can have tremendous power].
- Afflicted means here to suffer trouble such as a test or trial. We must do our own praying…not find someone else to pray for us. This is part of maturing and growing up spiritually.
- When we are merry then let it out! Sing praises to the Lord.
- When we are sick, this carries the thought that [if a person is too ill that they can’t do anything for themselves] then call others to pray for you. So, if that person is helpless to the point where they can’t motivate themselves to use their own faith, not in a rational state, etc…then call elders to pray. Otherwise, pray yourself and exercise your faith.
2 Corinthians 5:21 - He made Christ who knew no sin to [judicially] be sin on our behalf, so that in Him we would become the righteousness of God [that is, we would be made acceptable to Him and placed in a right relationship with Him by His gracious lovingkindness].
- We do not get our prayers answered on the basis of how good we have been. We get answers to prayer based on faith in God’s word and upon who we are in Christ for we are made righteous in Christ Jesus.
- If we are born again and abiding in Him and His word is abiding in us, then we are in right standing with Him.
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 - Therefore if anyone is in Christ, this person is a new creation; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. Since Jesus Christ is the Head of the Church and He is righteous, then we, the Body, are also righteous.
The eyes of the Lord: He sees and hears us…..glory to God!
1 Peter 3:12 - The one who wants to enjoy life and see good days [good--whether apparent or not],
must keep his tongue free from evil and his lips from speaking guile (treachery, deceit).
“He must turn away from wickedness and do what is right.
He must search for peace [with God, with self, with others] and pursue it eagerly [actively--not merely
desiring it]. “For the eyes of the Lord are [looking favorably] upon the righteous (the upright),
and His ears are attentive to their prayer (eager to answer), but the face of the Lord is against those who
1 John 5: 16-17 – 5 conditions for sin that leads to death: (Hebrews 10:26-31 & Hebrews 6:1-6)
- They are enlightened and see their lost condition and need for a Savior.
- They have tasted of Jesus Christ, the Heavenly Gift and have been born again.
- They are filled with the Holy Spirit.
- They have grown spiritually; beyond a child in the things of God; they have tasted the meat of God’s word.
- They have had the gifts of the Spirit operating in their lives.